Friday, August 15, 2008

Update : 81508



This is going to be sort of a hodgepodge of things... and quickly thrown together at that.

First, I thought you'd enjoy these pics... sorry, the one of Summer is a little blurry, but you get the idea. I'll try to get a better one up soon. Anyway, if you read the previous post, you'll understand what's going on in the first shot. The second is Summer and I enjoying our first "tea time." Nicol joined us too. It was fun and we've had another one since. In case you're wondering, the flavor of the day was chocolate soymilk. So, no, we didn't actually have tea... besides, how can you go wrong with chocolate?

Second, this is a very difficult day. We've been getting ready to leave for Nashville. But I should probably back up and fill you in on a few things. We have lived in north Georgia for the past two years, but since last December have been considering a move to Nashville. To make a long story short, when Luke died we weren't able to make a decision on a burial site, so we put that off until we could think thru things a bit. For a number of reasons, including the likelihood of a move in the near future, we decided to have him buried in the same plot as his cousin, Audrey, in Nashville. (In the very unlikely event that you don't know Audrey's story, please visit audreycaroline.blogspot.com).

All that to say that we are struggling with the finality of his commital service. Some say that it will help to give us closure. I am hopeful that they are right, but I know the most likely reality is this: it may allow us to turn the page on this chapter, but we will never have closure and we will never get over this loss. When Luke died a piece of our hearts did as well.

We would appreciate your prayers very much... and we need them desperately. The service will take place next Thursday morning at 10:00am. Our families and close friends will be there. You could also pray for us as we continue to think thru the details of the service. As difficult as the experience will be, we want to honor him and remember the 71 days we had with him and celebrate the hope that is ours in Christ in knowing we will see him again one day.

Thank you all for your kindness and encouragement. Our hearts have been touched over and over again as we read your comments. You have blessed us far more than you can imagine.


































































































































30 comments:

Lisa said...

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you this week as you face this tough time. A friend sent me this and it has helped me.

"THE WILL OF GOD WILL NEVER TAKE YOU WHERE THE GRACE OF GOD WILL NOT PROTECT YOU."

Praying for his protection around you and your family.

Mocha with Linda said...

Angie mentioned on her blog that next week would be hard but hasn't said why yet.

My heart aches for you as you continue to walk this difficult road. Know that you are loved and prayed for much!

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh, and the Daddy/Daughter Tea Party? Priceless beyond words!!

Anonymous said...

Greg, Nicol, & Summer,

You don't know me, but I and my family attend THFBC where you attend frequently. My daughter Whitney tells me every time she sees you, "Nicol and Greg" came today. She's 7, and she got to be in the concert at the Wink with Nicol and Jack. She loved it! Thank you for sharing that with the children.

I will be praying for you even more as you deal with the events of the coming week. "Casting all your cares upon Him, and He will give you rest."

Laura Wills

Kelli said...

You are in our thoughts and constantly in our prayers. Mostly, I pray that next Thursday will be filled with a peace that far exceeds any understanding and that you all experience that abounding mercies of God as He strengthens you through the day. I pray that you will have moments of rejoicing as He soothes your grieving hearts. I know that it will be a rough day. But I pray that you will be able to look back on it and say that it was a good day. God Bless you all in this coming week.

Courtney and the Boys said...

Tears came to my eyes as I saw that first picture. God bless you.

I lost my mom to ovarian cancer when my son, her first grandchild, was just a few months old. Seeing her with my baby and how his presence simply lit up her world gave me the greatest joy. I like to think that she is now in heaven, acting as a surrogate grandmother to all the little babies who enter those glorious gates. I'm sure that little Luke brings her such joy. :)

You're in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Our family will pray that God will give you a peace that passes understanding as you plan this service. Thank you for touching our lives as you share your story.
Nikki

Perks said...

My family has been praying for yours and will continue to do so....especially next Thursday.

May you feel His Grace and Peace.

Anonymous said...

Greg and Nicol,
Donna and I are so grateful that you are writing and sharing your feelings; It helps us to know how better to pray for you! We are at a conference in Switzerland of all places this week and we have been challenged in our prayer lives. You ARE being prayed for! Thank you again sweet friends! ~~p

Colleen said...

I'll be praying for your precious family.
Luke and his story have touch me deeply.
In Christ,
Colleen in NY

Cheryl said...

Greg,

Praying for you and your entire family through this trying time.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Saying a prayer right now for your family! God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

We will be lifting you in prayer!!

Unknown said...

The tea set is beautiful. I'm sure she will cherish the memories you are making with her. I lost my Dad a year ago, and I cling to the memories! Dad's have the chance to be wonderful, and it sounds like you are almost as wonderful as mine was (no offense - I just don't think anyone on earth will ever be quite as wonderful as he was).

All I can think to say is that you will be in our prayers as you plan the service and make all the other decisions that you are facing.

Courtney said...

I know that words so often fail to give comfort in situations like these but please know that you will be lifted up in prayer during this difficult week.
Much love, Courtney

Candie said...

You will be in our thoughts and prayers this week. Thursday will be very difficult indeed. Burying your child is so final and hard. The Lord will be there with you every step of the way. May the Lord's peace be with you as you make the decisions for Luke's service. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Greg and Nicol,
You have been in our thoughts and prayers since this difficult journey began. We will definitely pray for your precious family this week. We think a lot of you. Thank you for sharing a little piece of your heart with us. God will give you strength.

Nick and Stacy Beason

Anonymous said...

Praying and honored to walk with you in this tough journey.

vaneblu said...

We will pray for Gods healing hand on your family

The Queen B said...

Please know my heart breaks for you and your family. I think about all of you almost daily and lift you up in prayer.

Barbara Hoffman said...

I will be praying for peace to just overcome your entire day. If you have ever watched the 99 balloons video on utube it is a wonderful idea to lift off 71 balloons to heaven in honor of his 71 days...maybe plus one for Audrey caroline.
just a thought.
Barbara

Tasha said...

I will be praying that God would give you such peace on that day that you will not even understand it.I am so glad that you have found a final resting place for Luke next to Audrey.I love to think of them running around together whole and perfect.And then being held in the arms of Jesus.What a wonderful place that has to be.It gives me a certain peace knowing that they will never know the evil of this world.All they know is perfect peace and that their Mommys and Daddys love them so very much.Love to you all.~Tasha in Indiana~

rebecca said...

Greg, Nicol and Summer,

You and your entire family will be in our prayers as you take another step in this journey next week.
I also think that it is a beautiful thing to lay Luke in his final resting place near Audrey.
Thank you so very much for sharing your story and allowing all of us to be able to uplift you all in prayer. May God give you strength and peace. God Bless!

mhutsell said...

I will be praying for you.

Andrea said...

I will be praying for you this week and hope you will feel some comfort. I think it is so neat that Luke and Audrey will be laid to rest next to each other. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Andrea

TressaMOMof3 said...

I am praying for you and your family.

Tressa

Kristy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you - and will be especially on Thursday. I pray that you will be able to celebrate his life in grieving his death. I pray that God would be over that service, draping all of you in His arms.

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

Praying for you and your entire family through this trying time.We will be lifting you in prayer

Rebekah said...

I have been following your story through Angie for a while. I just wanted to let you guys know that you are in my prayers. I can only imagine the pain that you guys are experiencing. But I will continue that you will feel God's arms wrapped around you.

Just me said...

While I am don't know you guys, I look forward to knowing you in heaven, where I will also get to meet Luke. Moreover, I look forward to rejoicing with you all as we stand next to God, who knows exactly how you feel and is the One who can fill that hole that Luke left behind. Most importantly, to celebrate that He has triumphed over death.