Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Home from Haiti...

What a time it's been since returning from Haiti on Wednesday. The A/C went out that evening, and it was boiling hot in this place. I made a few calls on Thursday morning to have someone come take a look at it, but everyone was booked up and couldn't get to it until Friday. My first response would normally have been to check into a hotel, but having just been in the sweltering heat and humidity of Haiti, I was actually sort of acclimated. So we toughed it out... even though sleeping in a room that is 86 degrees is miserable no matter where you are. Then, at about midnight on Thursday/Friday, Summer woke up crying and said that her ear hurt. After 30 minutes or so, Nicol suggested that we go to a hotel, so we got ready real quick and headed out the door. Summer was getting more and more uncomfortable, so we drove to the ER to have her ear looked at. Sure enough, she had the beginnings of an ear infection and the doc gave us some drops and and prescription for amoxicillin. Next stop: hotel. Nicol called a few places and they were either booked or more $$ than any dive should ask for at 2:30am. I pulled into a Hilton Garden Inn and Nicol when in to see if they had vacancy and how much they get for a room. Yes, they had vacancy and frighteningly, the woman said it would $199. Nicol is very skilled in those types of situations and she began to work her magic, asking if they could match the price ($89) at a nearby hotel. She did match that price (unbelievable) and she checked us in so that we wouldn't have to check out until Saturday morning. That was a total blessing. We vegged all day Friday. Felt great. And Summer's ear is feeling much better.

But all that is quite insignificant in comparison to yesterday's events. I got a call from my Dad at about 7:30am, and he told me that my Grandfather (Mom's father) had apparently had a heart attack and that he wasn't doing well. Then, about an hour later, the news came that Gramp had passed. He was 86 and has had a history of heart disease, but he was in pretty good shape over all and this was totally unexpected. So tomorrow morning, Nicol. Summer and I will be traveling to Maine. The funeral will be Thursday afternoon. It will be good to finally get up there and be with everyone. I feel so bad for Gram... they would have celebrated their 66th anniversary in December. Amazing.

With all the craziness, I haven't been able to get any Haiti updates posted. What I can say is this: it was an amazing trip and I want to go back... with Nicol next time! More on Haiti when things calm down.

For now, I'm going to bed... have to be up at 5.



Paige said...

Praying for you all Greg. So sorry about your grandfather.


julie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather. My prayers are with you and your family.

Michelle Found said...

Oh what a time you're having!!!

First, our sincere condolences on the passing of your Grandfather. My maternal grandparents were able to celebrate 67 years of marriage before Grandpa passed away. What a wonderful thing.... to be married to someone for over six decades! Our sympathies to your Grandmother in losing her dear companion.

Second, glad to hear your daughter is doing better with her infection. It's hard when our little ones aren't feeling well.

Third, your wife sounds like ME.... trying to get a bargain on a hotel room. My husband just stands back and laughs, but hey... a buck is a buck! Good for Nicol for stretching a dollar.

Fourth, we are looking forward to reading of your adventures in Haiti. So glad you returned home safe and sound.

Finally, is the air conditioner fixed? :o)

~Michelle Found
Picton, Ontario, Canada