Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A First

Today is the first of many...

We just dropped Summer off for her first day of pre-school. She was so excited. Us too.

But...

One day all too soon she will probably feel the blush of embarrassment if, like this morning, we walk her into her classroom, hang out for a while, chat with her teachers and other parents, take a few pictures, shoot some video and... gawk. One day all too soon someone will capture her heart and our little girl will leave home for the very last time as our little girl.

One day all too soon I have become a sniffling Dad who just dropped his little girl off at pre-school and somehow already has her walking down the aisle, about to recite her wedding vows.

I admit it, it's sort of silly, and yet it's real. Can't help these thoughts and emotions that have come upon me this a.m.

What a gift this child is - every child. Those with us, those who for any reason leave us much too soon, those who are yet to be known. A reward, says the Psalmist. And all this from the LORD.

But there's more...

As much as today is a God thing, that being Summer's first steps in her educational experience, so too it will be a thing of God the day she leaves our nest. The blessing that we now enjoy as Summer is in our "quiver," as the Psalmist puts it, is a blessing intended only for a season. "Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth." One's youth. The gift and reward and blessing that this little girl is to us by the grace and kindness of God is but for a few, fleeting moments. Sure, Summer will always be our daughter, but if I understand Solomon's song of ascent from Psalm 127, today she is our little girl, tomorrow she will be a woman in someone else's care.

So enjoy her we will. Rejoice over her we will. Treasure her and this time we will. Raise her up well, by God's grace, we will. And like everything else in life - by God's grace - we will one day release her, just like a warrior releases his arrows, to go out in the favor of the LORD and fulfill His plans for her life.

Of wisdom, blessing, mercy and grace, LORD, we need much.




14 comments:

Kandy said...

Well said! Enjoy each moment as you are doing!! God Bless your family!!

Misty Rice said...

Beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I am a little girl to my parents who now has a little girl of her own. I can see in my father's eyes the same words you have just expressed as he holds my daughter, his grand daughter- I can see him wondering where the time went, feeling as though it were just yesterday he was holding me. I think a mother's love is special, but nothing surpasses and compares to a father's love. Hope Summer had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Awhh! Tears in my eyes. Hope you and Nicol are doing well. Hope Summer liked her first day!

Anonymous said...

The little Swedish girl who doesn't want to go to a "flower garden school" is experiencing a first, as you and Nicol are.
Blessings today and always.
Love you bunches.

Gramma to Nine in ME

Ashley-Michele said...

My daughter Ava started Kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. It made me miss the past 5 years like I have never before knowing that I can never have her back to that age or doing the things she did during that time. It was also a reality check that we only move forward. Trying to juggle her school schedule now and knowing that her plate will only get fuller! Even with all these emotions, I am so happy to share everyday with her!

momof4kr said...

Oh, how the scriptures you shared touched my heart! I needed to hear that today...
Being the Mom of two sons and two daughters, I need to be reminded of my role to raise them up and then send them out.
Many Blessings to you and your sweet sweet family!!

Anita said...

Your post brings sweet memories, a smile to my face & a tear to my eye.
They do grow up quickly!

We were able to watch our youngest daughter as the man in her life proposed to her this summer. Next summer, we will celebrate as she leaves our home & begins her own. Our prayer is that we've raised her to follow God and honor Him with her life. As a parent, that is a big responsibility. It is also a blessing to see her & her fiance serving God with their lives.

Thanks for letting me share. Your post was a blessing!

Kristy said...

How sweet.
I too dropped our youngest off for preschool for the first time (he's 4) 2 days ago. The first day, he was so excited to go - couldn't wait to get out the door.
Yesterday, day 2, he cried and cried that he didn't want to go. It nearly broke my heart. He still seems like our baby - not yet old enough to be going to preschool. Thank God when I picked him up, he was happy and had fun. I pray that he does not repeat that little heartbreaking strategy again!
Hope Summer loves school!

sheila said...

Hoping Summer had a wonderful experience. The love you have shows through in your words. She is very lucky to have a Daddy like you, one who shows Jesus. In God's Love, sheila

Dad said...

Greg,
It's been awhile since I commented on your words of comfort and blessing to me. What is said is so true, so true, time has a way of fleeting. What a joy to see Summer go to her first day of school. Why,I remember a toe-headed boy in a yellow rain slicker...wow..see time go...Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Greg, I loved this post. It's so true, all too soon they are gone, out into the world to make their way as the Lord leads. I love that you mention they are ours for a season. I want to cherish each moment we have in these precious days with our daughter and son. God is so good to give them to us for however many days He has appointed. Thanks for the sweet reminder.
lisa in chicago

Anonymous said...

My name is Summer, and reading this post made he hope that my parents felt the same way about me, saying the same sweet things as I grew.

Summer V.

Glenn said...

Amen. We have had one child since our son died, and she is now in pre-school. I worked from home today, and what a quiet house it was. I wanted some noise, any noise that wasn't the sound of my typing or breathing.