Friday, January 9, 2009

The Genius of Apple

Imagine a business that hires employees who...

--give you the impression that they really, really enjoy what they do;
--are wildly passionate about the product(s) they sell;
--really love talking to people about the product(s);
--believe in the product(s) so much that they own it/them themselves;
--can talk knowledgeably about the product(s) and not fudge their way thru their interaction with a customer; 
--have enough experience with the product(s) that they are able offer practical help to the customer; and 
--instill enough confidence in the customer because of the expertise they possess that a sale is basically inevitable.


Today a long-time Mac lover commented that Mac employees are sort of "evangelistic" in their approach to selling their products. What a concept! I said. I totally agree with my friend's observation.

All I can say is, Apple gets it... they do all of the things listed above and they do it remarkably well. The stores are totally cool to shop at. The employees are very enjoyable to interact with. They are extremely helpful. They love what they are selling and believe in it wholeheartedly. They make people want to buy because of their passion and expertise. They are really, really good at what they do. And, maybe best of all, they don't make non-techy people like me feel like a doofus because we ask questions that a lot of 8-year-olds would know these days.

What if we as Jesus people could say the same thing? What if our churches were as attractive as an Apple store? What if we knew the Bible more? What if we were so helpful that people couldn't help but come to us for help? What if we believed so much in our faith that we were radically sold out for it? What if we didn't make people feel like knuckleheads or less than acceptable or foolish because they don't know all the lingo and buzzwords and don't really care to?

What if?

Apple has a remarkable product. We have one too. (Pardon the very lame comparison... Jesus is obviously not a product, but you know what I mean) Apple has phenomenal reps. So does Jesus, but we can always do better.

Just some thoughts...

10 comments:

Susie (So Blessed) said...

These are excellent thoughts...how awesome it would be if we Christians displayed such enthusiasm about our Savior. Thanks for provoking some deep thoughts. I continue to pray for your family.

Elizabeth said...

Greg - Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing. I have read your blog since its inception and just want you to know that you have touched my heart. Our Father is smiling down on you and your sweet family.

Ang said...

love the new look
Ang

Mocha with Linda said...

Excellent thoughts.

BTW, I love the new look of the blog and the larger font is so much easier to read!

Angie Smith said...

i loved this greg, and it is SO true!!!!!!! which is why todd should support their ministry and buy me the fancy-shmancy one.

praise god.

a

Just me said...

Maybe Apple employees get to be passionate about what they do and all, but out here in California, living in the Silicon Valley, having friends, family, and patients who have worked for Apple, I can tell you that working there is NO picnic. It is incredibly stressful. The work place is demeaning sometimes, and it all reflects on the founders who are very well known for their micro-managing styles.
On the other hand, Christians should be passionate about Christ, and what a relief that Christ is merciful and up lifting! That His goal is to build us up, not to put us down!

kristacomis said...

It is all about customer service, right? Interesting. I, personally, have spent hours on the phone with Apple-they are as happy in the first minute as in the 120th-are we all as happy to take the time in explaining the same thing over and over?

Great comparison.

xo
Krista

Anonymous said...

Your words continue to touch and amaze me! I love your blog and feel blessed to know you! Will continue to pray for you all!

Love in Christ, Julie D.

colesGodmommy said...

This message really hit home with me! It's such an insightful comparison and everything you said completely rings true--hopefully we, as Christians, can continue to carry on our passion in the form He wants us to!

Tracy P. said...

Yes, yes, you are so right. If I didn't work for Jesus, I would definitely work for Apple. Love my Mac! Love my Jesus more! Glad I found you--it wasn't hard to do. I wonder why more people haven't!